Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Confused? need direction..PRAY

Praying when you need direction

"Should I get married? And if I should, whom should I marry and when?" "What should I do with my life?" "Should I take that job and relocate to another city?" "Should I buy a car or just lease one? And if I buy a car, should it be a new car or a used car?" "Should I leave my present job and go start my own business venture?" "What career path should I embark on?" "What course should I take when I go to college?"


Decisions and choices - choices and decisions. The list just goes on and on in life. We make hundreds of them every day. Just go to a restaurant for a meal and start reviewing the menu! Clearly we are a people in great need of direction. The search for direction in life never ends.


Many in our society spend a lot of time and resources just trying to get some direction about where to go and what to do in life. Millions turn to their daily newspapers - not for sports or the stock market but for their daily horoscopes. Others turn to fortune tellers or crystal ball gazers. Still others dial up psychic hot lines! Just to get a glimpse into the future. And then there's God's directions and there's prayer!


The good news is that the resources of prayer is unlimited and God's direction is available to those who seek it. A pastor was starting a new ministry. The night before the launch, he gathered together a small group of believers who would form the core families of the church. Here's what he prayed:

"Lord, this church belongs to you. It's not ours. Our desire is to do what You want us to do and to be who You want us to be. You know the people You long to reach through this church. We place ourselves in Your hands and we long to be used by You." This is a good prayer for direction. It contains intentional yieldedness: "Our desire is to do what You want us to do and to be who You want us to be."

You can't go wrong praying this way. Such prayer acknowledges God's sovereign lordship in our lives. It expresses a heart that seeks to bring glory to God: "We place ourselves in Your hands and we long to be used by You." Think about it. There is no better place to be than in the caring hands of God.

(source : devotional from Rev. Dick Mirpurri)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment. God bless!!